If you have less than an hour at Liverpool waterfront, Pier Head is the sensible place to use it. The Three Graces, Museum of Liverpool, ferry terminal and river walk sit together without a long route between them.
The public plaza is free to enter. Building tours, ferry trips and some exhibitions use separate tickets or opening times.
The short version
- Use James Street station for the shortest rail walk.
- See the Three Graces from the river side of the plaza.
- Add the Museum of Liverpool if you have at least another hour.
- Check Mersey Ferry times before building the day around a crossing.
- Expect strong wind and little shelter beside the river.
What the Three Graces are
The Three Graces are the Royal Liver Building, Cunard Building and Port of Liverpool Building. They were built in the early twentieth century on land created after George's Dock was filled in.
The Port of Liverpool Building was completed first, in 1907. It was built for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.
The Royal Liver Building opened in 1911 for the Royal Liver Friendly Society. Its two clock towers carry the Liver Birds. Public access is controlled, so check current tour availability before travelling.
The Cunard Building was completed in 1916 as Cunard's headquarters. It now contains offices and event space. Do not assume it is open for casual visits.
Where to stand for the clearest view
Walk to the river side of the ferry terminal and face back towards the city. From there, the three buildings line up without the Strand traffic in front of them.
The Beatles statue is nearby. Continue south for the Museum of Liverpool and the bridge towards Royal Albert Dock.
Museum of Liverpool
The Museum of Liverpool covers the city's social, industrial and cultural history. General admission is free, though some events or exhibitions may charge.
National Museums Liverpool uses seasonal opening hours and normally closes venues on Mondays outside bank holidays. Check the museum page on the day rather than using an old timetable.
